Thursday, March 31, 2011

Opening Day

Today is a big day for Mom and Dad.  It's "Opening Day", when their favorite baseball teams start playing for the season. 

Dad likes the Chicago Cubs because they were on TV a lot when he was a kid, and he and his grandpa watched them together.  Mom says that Cubs fans are pathetic creatures, and I would tend to agree.  The height of Dad's happiness with the Cubs the past two years has been putting his old plastic hat on my head to take pictures of me.

(Picture taken 1/25/09)

(Picture taken 4/7/09)

I actually like that second picture, because not only does it represent the eternal struggle of the domestic rabbit to escape from the whims of its humans, it placed in a "summer activities" photo contest on an Internet site (the now-defunct "lolbunnies" site).  While I do appreciate this nod to my awesomeness, the real buns of summer are more likely hiding under Dad's hostas outside, or crouching very low in the grass so as not to be seen.

(Picture taken 8/16/06 - before I was even born!)

On top of the hat, they also briefly gave me a miniature "bat", which to me just looks like a smoother version of my nemesis, the stick.  It might be fun for me to play with if it weren't as shiny or smooth, or were a little bit smaller.  I didn't really get the chance to try, though, 'cause they took it away from me as soon as they took the picture.

(Picture taken 7/3/09)

(Picture taken 7/3/09)

Mom likes the Detroit Tigers because she grew up in Michigan, though she gets a little annoyed for some reason if you assume she knows everything about the 1984 team.  I remember TONS from when I was 3, I don't know what her problem is. 

Anyway, she was really excited for the team the year I was adopted, because they were in first place for a lot of the season.  They finished tied, and had one final game to determine who won their division.  Mom decided that I should show some Tigers spirit and set me up for a picture.

 (Picture taken 10/6/09, during game 163)

Not you too, Mom!

Mom spent a lot of the game on the phone with her brother up in Detroit, who was so animated on the phone that even I could hear him.  I got the feeling that things ended badly because they never mentioned it again.

3 comments:

  1. OMG, Jessica! What your humans do to you!! My mommy only watches gymnastics, so I don't have to go through that! My heart goes out to you. But, if mommy ever does put me in a leotard, I may have to run away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom just tried to picture that and fell over from the adorable, but I have warned her that I have sharper nails than her and that I am really strong when I am mad. If you do have to run away, I have an extra box I guess I could let you hide in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I heard you had your mom on your hit list for her very inconsiderate hiccuping and laughter, it made me want to check my feed reader to see if you had any new posts up. I've always loved pics of you in your baseball hat. :-D

    ReplyDelete